Monday, January 10, 2011

First Blog Post Ever

So I decided to do a blog so that anyone who is interested can follow my adventures in South Africa.  This can definitely go one or two ways.  Either I'll barely ever blog or it will turn into my incessant, barely comprehensible rambling about stuff no one but me cares about.  I'll try my best to avoid both of those things, no promises though.   On a different note, the name "Counter Clockwise" was decided on while I was talking to my family about some of the big changes I will have to adapt to in South Africa.  One of the biggest among those is the toilets are going to flush in the other direction.  I'm not sure how I'm going to react but it will probably involve me falling backwards then sitting down with that panting horrified look on my face (you know the one).  I may have to take the day to recover.  Any ways this is heading into that incessant rambling direction so I'll move on to something else.

The past couple of days have been filled with mixed emotions for me.  Yesterday I had a family going away party and it was just an odd feeling saying goodbye.  It was also just a nice reminder of how lucky I feel to be a part of the family that I am and to come from where I've come from; I wouldn't trade it for anything.  Aside from all the people I will miss, and there will be many, I think I'm going to miss those seemingly innocuous small things the most.  I'll miss the UConn wind and how it wakes me up every morning no matter how little sleep I got the night before.  I'll miss running through West Hartford Center.  Hell I just miss West Hartford Center, the ability to go to Grants or Bricco (even though I hardly go there and I definitely can't afford it).  I'll even miss Homer and that terrified feeling that you get whenever you sit in Arjona for a class, "Oh my God! Did the building just creak?  Shit, I think this is it, the building is going down."

While I will miss a lot, with only 4 days to go I am beyond excited.  Friday really can't come soon enough.  As of now I haven't started packing yet, I hate packing, but I think the process is going to start tomorrow.  These days I've been thinking so much about what I am going to do when I get to Cape Town.  I'm so excited to bungee jump, surf, watch some rugby (who knows maybe I'll even play some rugby, watch out Cape Town here comes 165 pounds of fury), and really just experience the city.  I also decided the other day that I was gong to learn how to box while I'm there, even though it has nothing to do with Cape Town.  This came after watching "The Fighter," I was just so damn inspired.  I have already found what appears to be the perfect boxing gym for me, I just hope they're ready for me (I can see my first day going like so: 1.  Walk in with this cocky look on my face.  2.  Be boarderline impressive for a first timer in the drills and training.  3.  Get my ass handed to me when I spar against someone.  4.  Walk out with the Manning Face (If you're not sure what this is check the link).  5.  Go back to the house and ice my entire body).

Anyways it's getting late and it's time for me to watch a movie and hit the sack.  I'll end the blog post with a link.  I was listening to this song while I was writing this and I have to say, it is the sexiest song I've ever heard.  You guys tell me what you think but holy hell (I'm trying to keep the blog PG because of some young eyes that may be reading so this is as far as I go).  You guys tell me what you think of the song and if you've got a sexier one by all means send it this way.  Massive Attack-Paradise Circus.

Ps. I apologize for any spelling errors, it was never my strong suit and still isn't.
Pps.  Comment away, I'll try to get back to all of them.

5 comments:

  1. Tom, for the record, the direction of a whirlpool, unless it's huge (think storm-sized), is largely determined by factors other than the coriolis effect. Somebody was messin' witcha... Just to be sure, though, you should probably stand on your head for at least an hour each day, and at everything with your opposite hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to say what Alan said - or rather, that the water spiraling the other direction in the other hemisphere thing is a myth, so you needn't worry yourself about it. :-)

    Otherwise, sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I was disappointed upon my first toilet flush, fun fact the water kind of really just flows over the top and doesn't spin a whole lot. Micah, how has the move back to Texas been?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thomas!! Are you having... Actually thats a stupid question duh you want to come home and see me! I was too lazy to read through your blog posts but Abby read it aloud to me instead. I miss you. Tell Brenna I say hi and a late happy birthday.(I think) Well have fun. By the way your room is now pink and smells like flowers. Don't drink and drive, put the toilet seat down and stay in school. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey thomas! I hope your having fun in Africa! Take pictures of all the animals! I'm very disappointed to hear about the toilets. :( That really stinks! Well have fun and let me know if you ever have to say "Oh my gosh is that a lion!" Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete